The aim of the course is to give seafarers who are required to take charge of a survival craft or a rescue boat (other than fast rescue boats) in emergency situations the essential education and training to meet the Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiency (KUP) requirements set out in the following:
- Take charge of a survival craft or rescue boat during and after launch.
- Operate a survival craft engine.
- Manage survivors and survival craft after abandoning ship.
- Use locating devices, including communication and signalling apparatus and pyrotechnics.
- Apply first aid to survivors.