The aim of the course is to provide seafarers the essential knowledge and training in Medical First Aid, particularly focusing on:
- The ability to carry out an assessment of casualties.
- How to raise the alarm and what information is required.
- Treating a variety of different injuries and medical conditions.
- Understanding the limitations placed upon a ship when someone injures themselves.
- Familiarisation with the equipment available as per the M1768 Ships Medical Stores list.
The course does require physical work that is carried out on the floor so anyone with injuries that prevent them from doing that will be unable to complete the course and will have to re book once they are fit and well.