This is an intensive course that requires a certain amount of self-study in the evenings. Having an up to date First Aid knowledge is essential.
The aim of the course is to provide seafarers the essential knowledge and training in Medical Care on Board Ship, particularly focusing on:
- The ability to assess and provide care to an ill or injured person on board.
- Understanding how to participate in the co-ordinated provision of medical care.
- Having competence in carrying out basic medical procedures.
- Using Radio Medical Advice for the management of ill or injured people on board.
- Familiarisation with the equipment and medication available as per the M1768 Ships Medical Stores list.
The course does require physical work that is carried out on the floor so anyone with injuries that prevent them from doing that will be unable to complete the course and will have to re book once they are fit and well.