What to include in your confirmation of employment letter when applying for a B1/B2 Visa.
B-1/B-2 visas are a mandatory requirement of the US authorities enabling visitors to enter the United States, either temporarily for business (B-1), tourism, pleasure or visiting (B-2) or a combination of both (B-1/B-2).
When applying for one, you must provide the date you first arrive in the US, the name of the yacht’s owner and confirmation that it is operated privately.
If the Embassy believe you’re a crew member from a commercial yacht, they can refuse your B-1/B-2 application and request you reapply for a C1/D.
The Embassy also require that you supply a full crew list and certificate of registry, confirming the vessel as a pleasure yacht.
So here’s a few pointers for your letter of application:
- Ideally set it out on letter headed paper
- Address it to US Embassy Address
- Clearly state in the subject line what the letter is about. IE: Application for United States B1/B2 Visa
- Date your letter
- Address it to Dear Sir/Madam (or named contact if you have one)
What to include:
- Confirmation that you support Mr/Ms XXX’s application for a 10 year B1/B2 United States Visa to allow him/her to serve aboard M/Y XX.
- Full name of applicant: Mr/Mrs XXX
- Current Passport No: XXX
- How long they’ve been a crew member onboard
- Name and size of motor yacht
- Who it’s operated by and for whom?
- Indicate the applicant’s job title onboard the vessel
- Name of Employer and Job Title
- Indicate that the applicant is a permanent member of crew
- Who pays his/her salary?
- Indicate what other benefits are provided eg: medical, injury, life insurance.
- Confirm that the employer acts as guarantor for all crew members onboard
- Confirm responsibilities as employer IE: travel, accommodation, health and any repatriation costs incurred.
- Date the vessel is due to arrive in the USA and where it will be based.
- Indicate whether the vessel is likely to visit the USA regularly and again, where it will be moored.
- Outline the use of the vessel, eg: as a pleasure yacht, operated solely for the purpose of the owner.
- Indicate the yacht owning company or agent if it’s chartered.
- Sign off Yours Faithfully (or Yours Sincerely if you have a named contact).
If you have any queries or require more information get in touch with one of the friendly Yotspot team or visit the US Embassy Website.