This intense 4 day course is intended for Seafarers who require a Global Maritime, Distress and Safety System
(GMDSS) Restricted Operators certificate in accordance with Section A-IV/2 of the STCW Code who intend to
operate within GMDSS Sea Area A1 (VHF range).
The Course has both Theoretical and Practical Examinable modules. Practical exercises form a significant part
of the course.
Upon successful completion of the Course and success in the examinations, the candidate will have knowledge
of the GMDSS System and be able to take Charge of communications with the relevant rescue authority in
emergency situations. They will be able to:
• Communicate using terrestrial systems operating in very high frequency bands.
• Use Digital selective calling devices
• Operate and Test SART’s & EPIRB’s
• Use ITU and ALRS Publications
• Carry out maintenance procedures for batteries and Aerials.