This Training Course is intended for Seafarers who require a Global Maritime, Distress and Safety System
(GMDSS) General Operators certificate in accordance with Section A-IV/2 of the STCW Code.
The Course is spread over 9 working days and has both Theoretical and Practical Examinable modules.
Practical exercises form a significant part of the course.
Upon successful completion of the Course and success in the examinations, the delegate will have knowledge
of the GMDSS System and be able to take Charge of communications with the relevant rescue authority in
emergency situations. They will be able to:
• Communicate using terrestrial systems operating in the medium, high and very high frequency bands;
• Use Digital selective calling devices;
• Communicate using satellite systems;
• Operate and test SART & EPIRB;
• Use ITU and ALRS Publications;
• Carry out maintenance procedures for batteries and Aerials.